Skip to main content

Break Out of the Bubble

It's been quite some time since I've posted in this so hopefully this post will be the first of my return to this mental outlet. This post has much to do with the fact that I had much more caffeine today than usual and my mind is moving at a mile a minute. I have had the pleasure and privilege of growing up in a culture far different than many of those I have met. I am of Pakistani descent (by way of India and Afghanistan). I grew up in a very privileged culture of predominantly upper-middle class Caucasian Americans. To me, that's what I consider the norm and probably the group I identify most as "my people". I am a devout Muslim who also feels at home when I am among my Muslim brothers and sisters. Overall, if I had to choose who I felt more comfortable with, I would say my non-Muslim friends. There are a few reasons for this: 1) Most of them have seen my changes through my life from a blonde-haired prep to a wannabe Indie Rocker to what many like to label me as nowadays, which is a Hipster. Many of these friends knew me when I prayed maybe once a day and only truly practiced Islam when I was fasting during Ramadan in high school (though not many of my friends knew I was fasting) and have seen my strides made towards learning more about Islam. They have seen me come closer to Islam, which at my core is who I am as a person. I grew up among friends who drank alcohol, smoked marijuana and partook in recreational drug usage. I have never once in my life had a sip of alcohol, smoked hookah, a cigarette, marijuana or ever tried any drug.


When I was younger, I did feel a bit out of place at parties that I attended with my friends but when I saw the idiocy of my intoxicated friends, I never wanted to join in. I did not have a strong level of faith that kept me from these non-Islamic activities but rather the thought of what my parents would say or do if they see me doing such things. My parents (may my father's soul be at peace) were very non-conventional in my upbringing. My parents were always accepting of who I chose to befriend and never once told me that my friends were anything less because they were not Muslim; I don't think this is something many others had. It was not until I had graduated from high school that I took a vested interest in learning more about Islam and wanting to practice more.



Through the years of learning more about Islam and my own experiences, I've seen how much of a dichotomy there is. I now see the value in me practicing Islam, even at a time when I did not necessarily know that I was practicing Islam. Had I drank alcohol or smoked anything, the image of my parent's disappointment would have stemmed from their Muslim beliefs which in turn would make me feel guilty; it's practice of faith without practice of faith, if that makes sense.



Nowadays, I have primarily Muslim friends but I see such a substantial value in keeping friends, good friends, who are not Muslim. I see a value in having friends who may even hate organized religion and dislike Islam; I have friends like that. I see that as practice and a test of faith within myself. It would be easy to cut out a friend because I want to be closer to Islam but is that not a form of arrogance? I see it as so. I attended the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival. I was in a tent with about seven or eight other people who were drinking and passing around a joint. When it got to me, I said "No thanks". They asked me why I was not smoking or drinking and I told them as politely as I could, "It's against my religion". They asked if I was a Muslim and I nodded. "That's so cool that you actually follow your religion" is the response I was given.



I think back to an Agnostic friend of mine who once said to me "Faisal, I would like to sit with you for a few hours and just learn about your religion." Comments like that mean the world to me. Comments like that also make me feel like the weight of the world is on my shoulders. Who am I to represent or spread word about my beliefs? It's a test. Am I prepared? I do not feel so but still, I try my absolute best to spread my religion as politely as I can without coming off as condescending.



I truly believe in my heart that we learn more from those who are like us than those who unlike us. I have a lot of young male friends who were born in this country of Pakistani descent who are Muslims. Do I learn much from them? Not really. Do we talk about Islam in a way where we are trying to honestly learn and become better Muslims? Usually not. I love being among my friends who are Muslims themselves and having something small come up, and explaining why my views are what they are. I've been asked 1,001 questions about Islam and even the times I don't have the answer, nobody has ever capitalized on my lack of knowledge in dismissing my beliefs. If I was among ten other guys who grew up just like me, how much can I really learn from them? From my experience, not a whole lot. If I was among an Atheist, a Protestant Christian, a Sikh, a Zoroastrian, a Jew, an Agnostic and a Satanist, I guarantee you that we would learn from each other. Sure, verbal squabbles may ensue but overall, I think there would be a lot of positive discourse.



If you believe in something, and you truly believe it to be the best, why wouldn't you want others to benefit from that? It's almost selfish to keep it among yourself or among only those who subscribe to that thought or thoughts as well. Religion is like wealth, are we to be greedy 1%'er's and only talk about it with those who believe what we do or should we spread the "wealth" and want to share it with others, I believe the latter. Some of my best friends are of different religions, different socioeconomic backgrounds, different ages and whatnot but those are the friends that help me see the beauty in two completely different people coming together whether it be for the simple appreciation of a good cup of coffee or something like a similar interest in a musical artist.



There is so much beauty in the world. There is SO much to be learned. I find it makes me happiest to seek those who are not like me because they teach me to appreciate things I may not know about or even appreciate something I dislike. I don't truly know what is best. I have my own personal interests, hobbies and whatnot but I could be completely wrong in all regards. I seek to see as much as I can in my life and have a more well-rounded view of the world overall. I won't get that by living in a small world and associating with a small group of people.


-Faisal Z. Khan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Topic of Love

Please be advised, the following is from my own analysis, personal experiences and insight. Everything I am saying could be completely wrong. It’s funny to me how much the word "love" is thrown around. It’s such a powerful expression that I dislike using casually. I’ve been told by a good amount of people that they “love” me but what does that really mean? I don’t think any affinity they may have for me is not at the level of love. I don’t think there is one way to define love but there are certainly action that correspond with the feeling. Obviously in life, certain people will love you for the sake of having to but it is very rare to meet somebody outside of familial or obligatory relationships that feels such a way. “It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all”, this is bogus. Love is unbreakable, Love is not a finite thing. I do not believe that you can  fall out of love … If there was somebody in your life that you truly love(d), you would

Real Men

The definition of being a "man" has changed through the time and is different throughout various cultures. When you look back at the beginning of mankind with Adam and Eve, they were created equal. Adam and Eve were man and woman, both living an equal life; neither had any power over the other. Throughout the period when men and women were separated into tribes, the men hunted and provided meat and food while the women gathered and tended to their camps (of course this is surely exaggerated as there were more tasks and responsibilities that went into their every day living). When looking through history, men have always have more rights and control than women. Somewhere in time, the natural traits that most men possess became the way to judge a person's value. Men are naturally stronger, more muscular and taller than women. Are these ways to judge a person's worth or value? Certainly not. God has created us equal, in His eyes but assigned us different characteris

Islamic Society of... Malibu?

One of my long-terms goals is to build a masjid. Growing up in Northern Virginia and living in Southern California for a few years, I have seen some nice mosques. I admire the fairly efficient system in place with two in particular that I've been a member of the community of. All Dulles Area Muslim Society in Sterling, Virginia and the Islamic Society of Orange County. A.D.A.M.S. has amazing connections and a great relationship with the government, seeing as how it is a stone's throw from Washington, D.C. Usually when there is a conflict affecting American Muslims, our own Imam Mohammed Magid will be interviewed on CNN or other shaikhs from neighboring mosques. Islamic Society of Orange County has a very impressive facility. There is ample space for people to set their shoes down and socialize outside of the musullah area, the bathrooms are luxurious, there is an accredited school, a large bookstore and even an area for one to cleanse the body of a deceased loved one before bur