Skip to main content

Second Chances

A few weeks ago, I had a young relative over. I knew he would be bored so I allowed him to play my PlayStation 3, under my supervision. While he was playing, he was being quite wild with the controller and would keep on sticking his head in front of me to look at my laptop screen to view my Facebook page and whatnot. I gave him several warnings to stop doing that and to listen to me, as I am older and he was intentionally being bothersome. I was typing something in and he messed with my keyboard a little bit and said "I'm going to hit enter" and I said to him very sternly, "Do not hit enter, if you do, then you will be in trouble."; well, he hit enter so I got up and turned the PlayStation off and told him that he could not play at all for the rest of the time he was at my house.

He began asking me incessantly to allow him to play but I said "no" multiple times. I then asked him if he thought asking me over and over again was helping him or if he thought he was annoying me; he said it was probably annoying me. I asked him why he would annoy somebody that he trying to get something from. I told him that he should listen to his elders the first time they tell them to do something and not bother them in any way. I said that I would still not allow him to play PlayStation, even though he was now being obedient and apologetic. I told him that this was a lesson for him to learn and not do the same things to anybody else. He started asking, begging and pleading to let me play PlayStation. It occurred me that I have control over something this child wants and I should not exploit that.

I started to put myself in his position and thought "What if I was pleading to somebody else for another chance?"; but who could I possibly beg anybody for anything? All of the sudden, it hit me; I think one day, some day I will be in his shoes. I will be begging Allah (swt) (God) for forgiveness and mercy when that time comes when I am judged for all of my bad and good deeds I committed in this life. I will cry, scream and do everything I can to taste the great mercy from Allah (swt). Will I get it, will I be blessed with it? I don't know. Who am I to deny somebody a second chance when I have asked for second, third, fourth, seventh, etc. chances from God only to go back to the error of my old ways?

In teaching a lesson to someone, I myself learned a great lesson. Remember to show mercy and forgiveness to those who you can. Remember the position that you are in as an adult or as a person that has power over somebody else. Act with a sense of divinity and remember the amazing qualities that Allah (swt) has, which we can benefit from.

Comments

  1. This post has made me think. About how sometimes I don't give second chances and that people I care about don't give me second chances. I don't forgive others easily. How can I change that? How can I forgive others when sometimes I don't forgive myself?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Topic of Love

Please be advised, the following is from my own analysis, personal experiences and insight. Everything I am saying could be completely wrong. It’s funny to me how much the word "love" is thrown around. It’s such a powerful expression that I dislike using casually. I’ve been told by a good amount of people that they “love” me but what does that really mean? I don’t think any affinity they may have for me is not at the level of love. I don’t think there is one way to define love but there are certainly action that correspond with the feeling. Obviously in life, certain people will love you for the sake of having to but it is very rare to meet somebody outside of familial or obligatory relationships that feels such a way. “It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all”, this is bogus. Love is unbreakable, Love is not a finite thing. I do not believe that you can  fall out of love … If there was somebody in your life that you truly love(d), you would

Real Men

The definition of being a "man" has changed through the time and is different throughout various cultures. When you look back at the beginning of mankind with Adam and Eve, they were created equal. Adam and Eve were man and woman, both living an equal life; neither had any power over the other. Throughout the period when men and women were separated into tribes, the men hunted and provided meat and food while the women gathered and tended to their camps (of course this is surely exaggerated as there were more tasks and responsibilities that went into their every day living). When looking through history, men have always have more rights and control than women. Somewhere in time, the natural traits that most men possess became the way to judge a person's value. Men are naturally stronger, more muscular and taller than women. Are these ways to judge a person's worth or value? Certainly not. God has created us equal, in His eyes but assigned us different characteris

Islamic Society of... Malibu?

One of my long-terms goals is to build a masjid. Growing up in Northern Virginia and living in Southern California for a few years, I have seen some nice mosques. I admire the fairly efficient system in place with two in particular that I've been a member of the community of. All Dulles Area Muslim Society in Sterling, Virginia and the Islamic Society of Orange County. A.D.A.M.S. has amazing connections and a great relationship with the government, seeing as how it is a stone's throw from Washington, D.C. Usually when there is a conflict affecting American Muslims, our own Imam Mohammed Magid will be interviewed on CNN or other shaikhs from neighboring mosques. Islamic Society of Orange County has a very impressive facility. There is ample space for people to set their shoes down and socialize outside of the musullah area, the bathrooms are luxurious, there is an accredited school, a large bookstore and even an area for one to cleanse the body of a deceased loved one before bur