Skip to main content

The Re-invention

Here we go. I used to blog a little bit on MySpace but stopped using that and Facebook 'Notes' counts as a simple blog but I wanted something independent from my other social networking sites. I thought about blogging if I moved back to California but living on the west coast is a distant thought, something that may never come to fruition and that's okay. So where do we begin? My life has been so unpredictable since I moved back home to Virginia in August of 2009. For several months, I was so angry and so frustrated at my failures. I moved to California hoping to start over new there but I made a lot of the same old mistakes which resulted in me not going to the colleges I had worked so hard to go to. Living there was a changing experience, one that really opened my eyes to a different world. I have many regrets there but I learned from my decisions. Just over one year ago at this time, things changed. I found a reason to genuinely be happy again. Actually, I was happier than I have ever been in my life, by far.

Most of 2010 was amazing for me. Life was very steady, maybe too steady and I took it for granted. When you invest everything you have into something and lose it, in a sense, you lose yourself. That is where I am right now, lost. Sometimes we need to be broken before we can be built higher than before, sometimes we are already broken and we need to be completely shattered and then have each of those tiny pieces obliterated until they are no longer a solid. Then and only then can we build ourselves to be virtually unshakable. This is the second time I have been re-inventing myself. There are times when we have to lose every single thing we ever valued in order to see the real value of life. It's not about our possessions but rather the people close to us.

I have been known to be a very sentimental person. I used to keep so many things that I have gotten rid of, for example:

-Legos
-High school parking pass
-Starbucks training manual (my first job)
-3 pairs of shoes from senior year
-Elementary school safety patrol badge
-Old comic books

...The list goes on and on. These are things that either reminded me of good times or something somebody worth remembering gave to me. I have been going through my closet and cabinets to purge many of the things I held value in; sentimental possessions. Every thing is tied to an individual memory or multiple memories; Other things are also tied to an emotion. This has been a good experience for me, something that I should have done sooner but I guess this was the right time. In a way, I feel like I am losing pieces of myself but they are small pieces in order to gain larger ones. I am very ready to let go of past things that are now trivial. I am ready to be an adult. Though I hope some kiddish things in me don't change, I do hope to take life more seriously. I want to move on in the right ways but I also do not want to forget the road I have been on.

For people, you hit a point in your life where you lose your faith and hope in a lot of things. When I was living in California, I had such an emotional distance from my family and friends so I gave up on them. I remember how alone I felt in that time. When you are in a place where you don't know a single person and everything you want or need is so difficult to get, it can be really trying. I think that was the first time I really really turned to Islam for guidance. I changed a lot about myself to become closer to Islam and I found that I was starting to find an inner peace. I felt a real connection with God. Like, when I spoke or thought something, it's as if I was speaking directly to Him. Having that feeling can be quite powerful as you can never feel alone when the Creator of the universe and all things in existence feels like he's right next to you. How can you not have hope when you feel that? The problems arose when life on the west coast got so difficult that I absolutely had to move back home. I don't know what happened but all of that anger pushed me away from Islam. I put my faith as a secondary priority. I focused on something that was very important but shouldn't have been my primary focus. When you feel like you have lost everything, there are two paths you can take, either be constructive and work on strengthening yourself or be destructive, physically and spiritually; I am trying to choose the first path. I turn to Allah (swt) in my best of times, I turn to Him in my worst of times. I don't know how to end this post so I leave with this, never give up. Never ever ever quit fighting for what you want in this life. If you want something out of the best intentions, ask for assistant in acquiring said thing. Do not give up hope.

Peace. Love. Hope. Strength.



Song playing (in my head)
 Patrick Park - Life is a Song

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Topic of Love

Please be advised, the following is from my own analysis, personal experiences and insight. Everything I am saying could be completely wrong. It’s funny to me how much the word "love" is thrown around. It’s such a powerful expression that I dislike using casually. I’ve been told by a good amount of people that they “love” me but what does that really mean? I don’t think any affinity they may have for me is not at the level of love. I don’t think there is one way to define love but there are certainly action that correspond with the feeling. Obviously in life, certain people will love you for the sake of having to but it is very rare to meet somebody outside of familial or obligatory relationships that feels such a way. “It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all”, this is bogus. Love is unbreakable, Love is not a finite thing. I do not believe that you can  fall out of love … If there was somebody in your life that you truly love(d), you would

Real Men

The definition of being a "man" has changed through the time and is different throughout various cultures. When you look back at the beginning of mankind with Adam and Eve, they were created equal. Adam and Eve were man and woman, both living an equal life; neither had any power over the other. Throughout the period when men and women were separated into tribes, the men hunted and provided meat and food while the women gathered and tended to their camps (of course this is surely exaggerated as there were more tasks and responsibilities that went into their every day living). When looking through history, men have always have more rights and control than women. Somewhere in time, the natural traits that most men possess became the way to judge a person's value. Men are naturally stronger, more muscular and taller than women. Are these ways to judge a person's worth or value? Certainly not. God has created us equal, in His eyes but assigned us different characteris

Islamic Society of... Malibu?

One of my long-terms goals is to build a masjid. Growing up in Northern Virginia and living in Southern California for a few years, I have seen some nice mosques. I admire the fairly efficient system in place with two in particular that I've been a member of the community of. All Dulles Area Muslim Society in Sterling, Virginia and the Islamic Society of Orange County. A.D.A.M.S. has amazing connections and a great relationship with the government, seeing as how it is a stone's throw from Washington, D.C. Usually when there is a conflict affecting American Muslims, our own Imam Mohammed Magid will be interviewed on CNN or other shaikhs from neighboring mosques. Islamic Society of Orange County has a very impressive facility. There is ample space for people to set their shoes down and socialize outside of the musullah area, the bathrooms are luxurious, there is an accredited school, a large bookstore and even an area for one to cleanse the body of a deceased loved one before bur