Skip to main content

Love Thy Neighbor

Franklin Farm is what I call home
How many people know their neighbors? I have lived at the same house for over twenty years. I have had the same next-door neighbors, the same neighbors directly across the street, the same neighbors diagonal  and three other families that live in a pipestem across the street from me the whole time I've lived at my house. I know my neighbors across the street pretty well. The mom used to get mad at me because I would ride my bike around the neighborhood and cross the street without looking both ways; her sons, 
who are much older than me, used to play basketball with me every so often. My neighbors next door have never really gotten along with me because I used to hit their house (accidentally) with soccer balls, baseballs, lacrosse balls and so on. My parents sometimes talk to the neighbors diagonal from us when they see each other. I know one of the families that lives in the pipestem because one daughter and I are the same age and I would play with her little brother often. The family next to them, we don't know and the other family, my parents know a little bit.



You would think with all this time we've spent living close to one another, we would have at least had dinner together once but nope, never. My neighborhood is huge, there are probably 700-800 houses in it. I've known pretty much every kid that ever lived in it. I'm happy that people who bought houses in my neighborhood didn't buy, flip and sell; they raised their kids in it. The problem is that I don't really know my neighbors outside of the ones whose kids I knew. I have no clue what my neighbors three houses down even look like!

We live in a time where we are more-connected with people who live on another continent than we are with our own neighbors, this is a problem! There are so many benefits to knowing your neighbors, I don't need to go into this. Whenever I buy my own house, my goal is to know every single one of my neighbors. I want to invite them all over for dinner at different times so I can get to know them all. I want that sense of community back.

A century ago, people knew their neighbors well, what happened to this? Are we meant to only talk to people via phone and social-media and then always drive to socialize? This seems like a wretched lifestyle to me. I want to know the old married couple whose kids live four hours away, I want to know the Tibetan family living two streets over, I want to know the Catholic family living at the end of the street; I want to familiarize myself with them all in order to form a bond and enhance the community.

How can we try to learn about other cultures in other countries when we don't even know the culture in our own backyard? (literally)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Topic of Love

Please be advised, the following is from my own analysis, personal experiences and insight. Everything I am saying could be completely wrong. It’s funny to me how much the word "love" is thrown around. It’s such a powerful expression that I dislike using casually. I’ve been told by a good amount of people that they “love” me but what does that really mean? I don’t think any affinity they may have for me is not at the level of love. I don’t think there is one way to define love but there are certainly action that correspond with the feeling. Obviously in life, certain people will love you for the sake of having to but it is very rare to meet somebody outside of familial or obligatory relationships that feels such a way. “It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all”, this is bogus. Love is unbreakable, Love is not a finite thing. I do not believe that you can  fall out of love … If there was somebody in your life that you truly love(d), you would

Real Men

The definition of being a "man" has changed through the time and is different throughout various cultures. When you look back at the beginning of mankind with Adam and Eve, they were created equal. Adam and Eve were man and woman, both living an equal life; neither had any power over the other. Throughout the period when men and women were separated into tribes, the men hunted and provided meat and food while the women gathered and tended to their camps (of course this is surely exaggerated as there were more tasks and responsibilities that went into their every day living). When looking through history, men have always have more rights and control than women. Somewhere in time, the natural traits that most men possess became the way to judge a person's value. Men are naturally stronger, more muscular and taller than women. Are these ways to judge a person's worth or value? Certainly not. God has created us equal, in His eyes but assigned us different characteris

Islamic Society of... Malibu?

One of my long-terms goals is to build a masjid. Growing up in Northern Virginia and living in Southern California for a few years, I have seen some nice mosques. I admire the fairly efficient system in place with two in particular that I've been a member of the community of. All Dulles Area Muslim Society in Sterling, Virginia and the Islamic Society of Orange County. A.D.A.M.S. has amazing connections and a great relationship with the government, seeing as how it is a stone's throw from Washington, D.C. Usually when there is a conflict affecting American Muslims, our own Imam Mohammed Magid will be interviewed on CNN or other shaikhs from neighboring mosques. Islamic Society of Orange County has a very impressive facility. There is ample space for people to set their shoes down and socialize outside of the musullah area, the bathrooms are luxurious, there is an accredited school, a large bookstore and even an area for one to cleanse the body of a deceased loved one before bur