Skip to main content

Islamic Society of... Malibu?

One of my long-terms goals is to build a masjid. Growing up in Northern Virginia and living in Southern California for a few years, I have seen some nice mosques. I admire the fairly efficient system in place with two in particular that I've been a member of the community of. All Dulles Area Muslim Society in Sterling, Virginia and the Islamic Society of Orange County. A.D.A.M.S. has amazing connections and a great relationship with the government, seeing as how it is a stone's throw from Washington, D.C. Usually when there is a conflict affecting American Muslims, our own Imam Mohammed Magid will be interviewed on CNN or other shaikhs from neighboring mosques. Islamic Society of Orange County has a very impressive facility. There is ample space for people to set their shoes down and socialize outside of the musullah area, the bathrooms are luxurious, there is an accredited school, a large bookstore and even an area for one to cleanse the body of a deceased loved one before burial. These are two Islamic communities I have been proud to be a member of.

Islamic Society of Orange County in Garden Grove, California during an event.
My question is raised from the fundraising aspect of building a new masjid, is it better to accept donations from a large and widespread community or to have a small group of "investors"? A masjid should be a welcome place for very single man, woman and child on this planet; be it a Muslim, a Zoroastrian, an Atheist or a believer of any other faith/set of principles. There are unnecessary levels of bureaucracy that arise from within masjid communities. I've seen a youth group be stripped of their funds they had raised themselves because the administrators thought they had a better use for it. I've seen shaikhs lose their positions for encouraging inter-cultural marriages to the young adults. Are these necessary issues? No. But when every single person is given a voice, people's inner hatred can subtly be voiced through their actions and opinions. Of course, people should have a say in their Islamic community but where is the limit?


Another issue is cultural influence within a masjid community. Arabs, Desis, Norwegians, Spaniards and other large groups have cultural influences in the way they see and practice their faith. Outside influences are implemented into prayer, pronunciations, dhikr and other ways as well. It may be arrogant to say that there is one way to truly be a Muslim and worship but there certainly are innocrect ways to go about doing it and may even become haraam (against Islam).

All Dulles Area Muslim Society in Sterling, Virginia


"The Blue Mosque" built in the 17th century in Istanbul, Turkey
So this all culminates into my goal and fear in building a masjid and starting a new community. Ideally, a practicing and humble masjid that follows Islam to the tee is the goal, but problems always arise. I would not want to shun anybody away, like I have seen done before. I don't jus't want an Islamic "center", I want it to be an all-encompassing facility for Muslims. I know this would be very costly hence why I would rather take on investors who are willing to donate large amounts rather than asking the communities for donations. I have seen this once before. A new masjid being built, had a large goal and projected plans but fell very short and had to scale back significantly.

Ocean view from the canyons in Malibu
I have already found a very large area in Malibu, California for a great price. 40 acres with amazing, unparalled views for $13 million, but that is just the raw land. Insha'llah, I will never lose this goal and it will keep me motivated for financial success. Why did I pick Malibu? It's no secret that I love the California coast but there is a lot of undeveloped land but more importantly, there is a lack of morality within the area. I don't like the viewpoint that Masjids should go where the people are, the people should go to where the masjids are! Malibu is 90-something percent non-Muslim. An area as beautiful as that deserves an active Muslim community. My goal is to bring them there.

Comments

  1. Assalamu'alaikum
    I stumbled upon this post after a quick search for masjids in Malibu (none!) and must say I agree with you on this wholeheartedly. I wish you all the best in your goal to bring Muslims to this area, insha'Allah.
    Best regards,
    Aishah M

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Topic of Love

Please be advised, the following is from my own analysis, personal experiences and insight. Everything I am saying could be completely wrong. It’s funny to me how much the word "love" is thrown around. It’s such a powerful expression that I dislike using casually. I’ve been told by a good amount of people that they “love” me but what does that really mean? I don’t think any affinity they may have for me is not at the level of love. I don’t think there is one way to define love but there are certainly action that correspond with the feeling. Obviously in life, certain people will love you for the sake of having to but it is very rare to meet somebody outside of familial or obligatory relationships that feels such a way. “It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all”, this is bogus. Love is unbreakable, Love is not a finite thing. I do not believe that you can  fall out of love … If there was somebody in your life that you truly love(d), you would

Real Men

The definition of being a "man" has changed through the time and is different throughout various cultures. When you look back at the beginning of mankind with Adam and Eve, they were created equal. Adam and Eve were man and woman, both living an equal life; neither had any power over the other. Throughout the period when men and women were separated into tribes, the men hunted and provided meat and food while the women gathered and tended to their camps (of course this is surely exaggerated as there were more tasks and responsibilities that went into their every day living). When looking through history, men have always have more rights and control than women. Somewhere in time, the natural traits that most men possess became the way to judge a person's value. Men are naturally stronger, more muscular and taller than women. Are these ways to judge a person's worth or value? Certainly not. God has created us equal, in His eyes but assigned us different characteris