Skip to main content

Impossible Comprehension

Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

Happy December to all. I am in the midst of sipping a fresh cup of coffee, listening to The Killers's new Christmas song 'I Feel It In My Bones' and enjoying a mellow evening in my homestead. My brother and I had a conversation earlier this week which is something I try not to think about too deeply because of how frightening the single thought tends to be; the thought of forever.

As a Muslim, I try my best to live my life conscious of the effects of my actions and ultimately whether I am doing something good or something bad. I don't want to die with a large accumulation of bad deeds which will result in an eternity of suffering in Hell's roaring blaze. But then there is the opposite, an eternity of true bliss in Heaven. Both thoughts manage to terrify me. "Why does an eternity of Paradise scare you, is it that you think you will get tired of it?" Him and I were sitting in a donut shop, "Think of it this way, today you eat this donut and it tastes really good, then tomorrow you eat the same thing and it tastes even better, and the day after it's better", he said.

My fear in even heaving an eternity of Paradise is present because of the lack of comprehension my mind has on the concept of something that is forever. As a human being, nearly everything we have ever known has had a definitive start and stop point; the only two things we see as infinite are numbers and death. Human beings can comprehend numbers but no person can say that they have experienced death.

When we die, that next life lasts FOREVER. It. Does. Not. End.; this is so frightening. How can we enter an everlasting life where time is not a factor? This is beyond what our species has ever experienced. As a Muslim, I believe in two set places after death, Heaven and Hell. The thought of Heaven often brings a tear of joy to my eyes as it is moving to think there is a greater being that will reward us for the good that we do in this life. The thought of Hell brings a tear of sadness to my eyes as there is literally nothing worse than that fate and the way it is described could make a person's heart stop with fear.

Our next life will never end. It will go on and on and on.. and on. Work harder in this life to make the next a truly amazing experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Topic of Love

Please be advised, the following is from my own analysis, personal experiences and insight. Everything I am saying could be completely wrong. It’s funny to me how much the word "love" is thrown around. It’s such a powerful expression that I dislike using casually. I’ve been told by a good amount of people that they “love” me but what does that really mean? I don’t think any affinity they may have for me is not at the level of love. I don’t think there is one way to define love but there are certainly action that correspond with the feeling. Obviously in life, certain people will love you for the sake of having to but it is very rare to meet somebody outside of familial or obligatory relationships that feels such a way. “It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all”, this is bogus. Love is unbreakable, Love is not a finite thing. I do not believe that you can  fall out of love … If there was somebody in your life that you truly love(d), you would

Real Men

The definition of being a "man" has changed through the time and is different throughout various cultures. When you look back at the beginning of mankind with Adam and Eve, they were created equal. Adam and Eve were man and woman, both living an equal life; neither had any power over the other. Throughout the period when men and women were separated into tribes, the men hunted and provided meat and food while the women gathered and tended to their camps (of course this is surely exaggerated as there were more tasks and responsibilities that went into their every day living). When looking through history, men have always have more rights and control than women. Somewhere in time, the natural traits that most men possess became the way to judge a person's value. Men are naturally stronger, more muscular and taller than women. Are these ways to judge a person's worth or value? Certainly not. God has created us equal, in His eyes but assigned us different characteris

Islamic Society of... Malibu?

One of my long-terms goals is to build a masjid. Growing up in Northern Virginia and living in Southern California for a few years, I have seen some nice mosques. I admire the fairly efficient system in place with two in particular that I've been a member of the community of. All Dulles Area Muslim Society in Sterling, Virginia and the Islamic Society of Orange County. A.D.A.M.S. has amazing connections and a great relationship with the government, seeing as how it is a stone's throw from Washington, D.C. Usually when there is a conflict affecting American Muslims, our own Imam Mohammed Magid will be interviewed on CNN or other shaikhs from neighboring mosques. Islamic Society of Orange County has a very impressive facility. There is ample space for people to set their shoes down and socialize outside of the musullah area, the bathrooms are luxurious, there is an accredited school, a large bookstore and even an area for one to cleanse the body of a deceased loved one before bur