Skip to main content

July 1st, 2012

Good morning, all!

          I awoke this morning shortly before my Fajr alarm went off and realized that it was the first of the month. Oh, July; you used to be my favaorite month out of the year, I now despise you. Especially this July, it's going to be a rough one. The weather this morning is gorgeous, the birds are calm, nobody seems to be moving about outside, which is pleasant.


        I have been coming to terms with phase two of being an abstergent person. Last year, I went through my entire room and donated, sold or threw away things which once meant something to me. I got rid of many sentimental possessions in the hopes of replacing them with new and better things which would mean even more than those belongings. I was always a pretty sentimental guy, a trait I don't share with many of my male friends. On the other hand, many of my female friends were borderline pack rats so I figured why not go somewhere in the middle? I enjoy a life of simplicity and having ample lots of space. Lately, I have been reading into the psychology of why people keep seemingly worthless items for long periods of time and how one can overcome this habit. One thing I read affirmed my own belief that having sentimental items stored somewhere can still clog the mind; if you still have the item, it's still there in your mind and that may hinder a person from moving on and looking to the future with new memories and new items to hold dear.

       As I get older, I think more and more about marriage and the strong level of equality and partnership I hope to attain. I want to love everything about her, whoever she is; And I certainly hope she feels the same way. I would want the things that have relevancy of my life to mean something to her as well and vice versa. There are certain things I don't want to really get rid of because of what the item represents. My first purchase with my first paycheck was a wrestling video game on my Gamecube (coincidentally, it is the only time I have overdrawn in my bank account because I didn't really understand that it took 2-3 days between depositing the check and being able to use the money).

       Being able to let go of certain things is so important. Eventually, you will either need the space in your home and will have to part with those items then, which can be painful or somebody may accidentally throw away your things thinking they're junk. It's hard to know how we will think in the future but there are many indicators. For instance, I have gotten rid of almost all of my wrestling video games (for a while, those were the only games I bought) because I know that if I see the game, I am more likely to remember certain wrestlers or matches and will end up on YouTube five minutes later wasting time watching old matches. It's hard to be hard on myself and abstain from re-living old memories but it is necessary in always moving forward.

       Always move upward and onward. Do what is necessary, within a certain limit to challenge yourself to grow as a person each and every day. 




I hope to someday have my sentimental belongings in a house somewhat like this one, that I drew.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Break Out of the Bubble

It's been quite some time since I've posted in this so hopefully this post will be the first of my return to this mental outlet. This post has much to do with the fact that I had much more caffeine today than usual and my mind is moving at a mile a minute. I have had the pleasure and privilege of growing up in a culture far different than many of those I have met. I am of Pakistani descent (by way of India and Afghanistan). I grew up in a very privileged culture of predominantly upper-middle class Caucasian Americans. To me, that's what I consider the norm and probably the group I identify most as "my people". I am a devout Muslim who also feels at home when I am among my Muslim brothers and sisters. Overall, if I had to choose who I felt more comfortable with, I would say my non-Muslim friends. There are a few reasons for this: 1) Most of them have seen my changes through my life from a blonde-haired prep to a wannabe Indie Rocker to what many like to label me a...

The Beauty of Brotherhood in Islam

Last night I went to the Masjid to help be part of a youth program that links middle school kids to high schoolers to college kids. Then I met up with someone who was helping me land a job in the IT field. He was teaching me the basics of IT security that I need to know for interviews. Afterwards, we prayed Isha and I was about to head out buy saw a friend who is still in high school. I know his older brother and asked about him. He told me that his brother was at a halaqa and that I should go. I asked how he was getting home and he said he needed a ride so I happily offered one. I said that I was hungry so I was going to get some food on the way back. His brother then called me when I was nearing the drive through saying that there is food at the persons house he was at and that we should come by. We arrived and to my amazement, there were about 15 brothers barbecuing chicken, hot dogs, burgers and kabobs. I felt bad showing up like that but as soon as I walked in, I ...

Destruction of the Ego

What is the ego? It is our self-perception. Our egos determine our self-esteem and self-worth. Everybody has an ego to some extent and generally speaking, it's for the worse. People use it as a way to put themselves above others or separate themselves from another group of people. We use our experiences, monetary value, educational achievements and appearance as a way to determine our ego; this can be very dangerous. It is not up to us to determine our own value and how the rest of the world should value or care about us. People are not fit to determine how important they really are. We have to take a step back from ourselves to take a look at who we are. One may say that they have a PhD or another high level degree so they deserve a certain amount of respect. Another person may say that their bank account had x number of dollars in it so they deserve to be treated better than a person with less money. We have to realize that the things we have, whether education, money or any oth...