Skip to main content

Hypocrisy?

I am sitting in my room with a light on and I just put a pair of socks in, in my room.. I rarely ever wear socks indoors. Do you know what that means? Fall is officially here. The weather here is quite dreary, I am happy that I did not go to New York City today like I had planned to. I wish I was drinking a warm beverage to keep me warm on this brisk Autumn afternoon.

I have come to the realization that I am a hypocrite, for the most part that is. Anybody who knows me well knows how anti-development I am here in northern Virginia. I have been living in my house for twenty years now. My neighborhood is fairly large (I live in a part of Oak Hill called Franklin Farm, which I think was once owned by Benjamin Franklin.), there are probably 600-700 houses here and I remember a time when the community here made an effort to know one another. Back then, this was a middle class area and was a wonderfully enchanting place to live; it's not like that anymore. All of the sudden, this area started booming with growth. New developments sprung up left and right, companies started all over the place and the next thing I knew, my parents salaries quadrupled and everybody started living a fancier and more comfortable life.


That sounds great, right? Wrong. I'm all for job growth and more money but at what cost? Neighborhoods here don't have the charm they once did. People value having a large home but don't value building that home on a decent-sized lot. So what happens? Kids grow up without a large backyard to toss the baseball with their fathers, kick a soccer ball around or just have mini-adventures in (all things I did as a kid). People in the area where I live make too much money for their own good. This area is culture-less.. it is without culture. I want the mindset to return to the days of small houses and large plots of land, not the other way around. At the same time, I don't like all this development destroying trees, degrading land and ruining the homes of all the natural wildlife around here. Just because human beings are the dominant species does not mean we have more entitlement than any other species.


So how does this make me a hypocrite? No, I have not caved and recommended that my parents buy a larger home (I've fought them on this for years). Anybody who knows me well also knows how much fondness I have for the coastal areas of California (primarily south). I absolutely love how eclectic that portion of the state is. Each town is different; for example, Laguna Beach and Newport Beach in Orange County. They are both upscale places to live. The average income is around $160,000 per household and they are right next to each other. Newport Beach is filled with old White conservative men driving Ferraris and Bentleys, living in 10,000 square foot Mediterranean and Tuscan style mansions, owning boats and having wives with unnecessary cosmetic enhancements,the area is filled with upscale chain restaurants. Once you cross that line from Pacific Coast Highway south into Laguna Beach, it's a different world. You see 10,000 square foot Art-Deco mansions, art galleries lining the side of the streets and more local tiny chain restaurants. They're both places with a lot of wealth. You have to wonder how places with such a similar landscape and cultural background can turn out so differently. That is just one example of the diversity along the beautiful California coast. I find it funny and appropos that the area I want to live most in the country is called Newport Coast, it's right in the middle of Newport and Laguna Beach; I think that is a metaphor for my own mentality.


 ($11,995,000 will get you a view like this in Newport Coast)


One other thing that draws me to the coastal parts of California is the great spectrum of creativity and originality. Homes are custom built, no two look exactly the same or are designed the same way. I fully support the development of pretty much all of coastal California. I want houses up and down the ocean side because with each town further developed, it strengthens the existing culture and may even add to it. The difference between developing land in California and Virginia is that there are little to no trees naturally in California so nothing is town down or destroyed. There is a lot of precious and rare wildlife in the canyon and hills of California though.

How can I support development in one area but want to keep another densely populated? I don't know. 'Tis another reason why I am constantly at war with myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Topic of Love

Please be advised, the following is from my own analysis, personal experiences and insight. Everything I am saying could be completely wrong. It’s funny to me how much the word "love" is thrown around. It’s such a powerful expression that I dislike using casually. I’ve been told by a good amount of people that they “love” me but what does that really mean? I don’t think any affinity they may have for me is not at the level of love. I don’t think there is one way to define love but there are certainly action that correspond with the feeling. Obviously in life, certain people will love you for the sake of having to but it is very rare to meet somebody outside of familial or obligatory relationships that feels such a way. “It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all”, this is bogus. Love is unbreakable, Love is not a finite thing. I do not believe that you can  fall out of love … If there was somebody in your life that you truly love(d), you would

Real Men

The definition of being a "man" has changed through the time and is different throughout various cultures. When you look back at the beginning of mankind with Adam and Eve, they were created equal. Adam and Eve were man and woman, both living an equal life; neither had any power over the other. Throughout the period when men and women were separated into tribes, the men hunted and provided meat and food while the women gathered and tended to their camps (of course this is surely exaggerated as there were more tasks and responsibilities that went into their every day living). When looking through history, men have always have more rights and control than women. Somewhere in time, the natural traits that most men possess became the way to judge a person's value. Men are naturally stronger, more muscular and taller than women. Are these ways to judge a person's worth or value? Certainly not. God has created us equal, in His eyes but assigned us different characteris

Islamic Society of... Malibu?

One of my long-terms goals is to build a masjid. Growing up in Northern Virginia and living in Southern California for a few years, I have seen some nice mosques. I admire the fairly efficient system in place with two in particular that I've been a member of the community of. All Dulles Area Muslim Society in Sterling, Virginia and the Islamic Society of Orange County. A.D.A.M.S. has amazing connections and a great relationship with the government, seeing as how it is a stone's throw from Washington, D.C. Usually when there is a conflict affecting American Muslims, our own Imam Mohammed Magid will be interviewed on CNN or other shaikhs from neighboring mosques. Islamic Society of Orange County has a very impressive facility. There is ample space for people to set their shoes down and socialize outside of the musullah area, the bathrooms are luxurious, there is an accredited school, a large bookstore and even an area for one to cleanse the body of a deceased loved one before bur